Tuesday, May 17, 2011

Change of Direction




So, I've been thinking about making a few changes around here. This has been percolating for awhile, and coincides with a few minor life changes I'm trying to make.

The idea, basically, is to open up this blog to all sorts of random topics and see what falls out of my brain. Writing, of course, will still be central, as that is what I love. And I'm hoping to continue with the flash fiction (please submit!). But! All sorts of other oddities! Perchance!

I know this goes against one of the prime Blogging 101 rules: base your blog on a specific topic, and stick to it. But, well, I've never written this blog with any idea of it being a "platform", or that it would in some way help my writing career. I do it because I like to write, and I do it because I enjoy talking with like-minded (and, for that matter, non-like-minded) people. The blog, for me, has always been the end, in and of itself. I've never wanted anything from it, except for the basic experience of doing it, of writing something and entering into interesting discussions.

So, if I do this, it will probably mean a few changes. First off, the blog might be a little more erratic, and I'll be less concerned with writing at a particular time, or to a particular schedule. And, the odd thing is, I think I may actually write more. But I'll mostly be writing when I want, and writing what I want. Strangeness may ensue!

It comes down, in the end, to meaning and motive. I've been thinking lately about why I do certain things , trying to scrape off the dirt and find the real roots, the ones buried way down deep in the dark. What are the meanings of my choices? And if I'm not really concerned with having a blog as a platform, why am I trying to write one as if I am?

It's a bit like that ol' writing chestnut: do you write to trends and publishers wants, or do you simply write what you want, what calls to you? I'm more of a write what you want type. The writing, in the end, is primarily for me. Selfish, I know! But that's the way of it. I want an audience, of course, but my first and primary audience is always me. Blogging to the rules, blogging to build a platform, is a bit like writing to a trend, writing to meet outside expectations.

So the plan is simply to write, instead, what I want. And hope it's interesting enough that a few people will follow along and join in the conversation.

Any thoughts? Concerns? Suggestions? Letters to the editor? Questions? Chinchillas? (Just cuz)


And, yes, this might mean I don't actually know where the hell I'm going. But sometimes those are the best sorts of road trips.

27 comments:

Steve MC said...

Awesome. Looking forward to it.

And writing what you want is not selfish – it’s giving us the best of you that you can. Spontaneous, expansive, and jazzed.

Marsha Sigman said...

I like it.

And I see you found the sign pointing to my house.

J said...

I'm down for anything that may or may not at some point even vaguely be associated with chinchillas!

Paul Joseph said...

I say go for it! I'm always inspired to talk about different areas of interest outside writing and publication. I think it's important to be well-rounded, so I enjoy blogs that discuss a variety of topics. Looking forward to seeing what you come up with.

Erik said...

That's exactly what I've been doing, and I love it. Any topic is fair game. It's unpredictable, but that's part of the fun. Looking forward to reading whatever the hell you write.

Dana Elmendorf said...

I think hard and fast rules crash and burn easily. I say write whatever you are passionate about and someone will always follow.

Emily White said...

I used to have a chinchilla! His name was Fulton.

Bring on the changes! Change is always good, right? Right? :)

Steve Abernathy said...

How dare you upset your brand and your platform! How dare you have other interests! How dare you have a child with your maid ten years ago and just tell me about it now!

Hektor Karl said...

I like blogs that wander and push at the edges of the form. So I say go for it.

Sage Ravenwood said...

Although based loosely on writing, my blog has always been central to me. I've never proclaimed it a writing blog, nor pretended to know everything there is about writing (most days I'm winging it).

I think sometimes people confuse the fact, writers are human beings, living pretty normal lives (okay I'm far from normal, but you know what I mean).

I agree with Steve, I think this way we'll get the best parts of who you are. I think more people will relate to you, as well. (Hugs)Indigo

Hollister Ann Grant said...

Go for it! Here's what I REALLY want to read about: the tornado that did a smackdown on your house (I think it was a tornado, wasn't it?).

M.A. Leslie said...

Seinfeld was a show about nothing and look how well they did. I think anything you do, as long as it is coupled with your writing, will we worth a read.

I look forward to it.

Bryan Russell said...

Thanks, all! I am encouraged!

And my first request, too. Twister time...

Suzie F. said...

"Strangeness may ensue!"

Ah...my kind of blog.

Looking forward to it!

Matthew MacNish said...

You can't post at 3 in the afternoon, and then email me about it that night. What if I would have missed it? Just sayin.

On the other hand, I would like to hope to think, that somewhere deep down, I may have planted a little nasty seed in your mind. One that wouldn't die.

I hope you know what I'm talking about, and if you don't, neither do I.

Anne R. Allen said...

It seems to me that avoiding burnout is awfully important--for blogger, reader and/or chinchilla. So whatever keeps you interested will probably keep us interested. I can't speak for the chinchillas.

vic caswell said...

i think this sounds excellent! YAY!!!
genuine ink.
love it! :)

Unknown said...

Thank you for writing this. I have been stressing about the fact that I am an all over the place blogger, but when I try to pick one topic, I write less and enjoy it less. Maybe it's okay to write for the pure enjoyment of it all. Imagine that! Look forward to seeing what happens here :)

Ted Cross said...

I don't write to a schedule and I write about whatever happens to be interesting to me at any given moment. I hope it works out better for you than for me, as I don't get too many faithful readers (though I am very grateful for those I DO have!)

Chase March said...

My blog is about a bunch of random topics but I have certain features and series. I find some people will skip over the features they don't like but that it really doesn't scare readers away.

I think your audience will still be here if you diversify a bit.

Good luck with it!

Laura M. Campbell said...

I'm all for it! I'm a strong believer in making yourself happy before all others.

Unknown said...

Thank you for taking us along for the ride. I look forward to seeing where you take us.

Susan Kaye Quinn said...

Sounds wonderful. And that sign totally looks like my life. :)

Matthew MacNish said...

Also: I just noticed the new Hobbit hole up there in the corner. Cozy.

Matthew MacNish said...

And furthermore: I'm interested in hearing more about 30 sided dice, Curling, Canadian Health Care, Underwater Novel Writing, and High Altitude Journaling (without oxygen).

R.S. Bohn said...

So the plan is simply to write, instead, what I want. And hope it's interesting

That's what most of us, I think, are doing. Sure, some are all about the platforming -- is that a word? -- but this rings truer. Go with your heart. Or your gut. Mine says, "wild berry smoothie from McD's." So there ya go. ;)

Anonymous said...

Bryan, I think this is great. What is distilled through all of your topics in the end is YOU. YOU are your blog's theme, and that to me is worth reading!