Thursday, April 7, 2011

One on One

by Maine Character

One on One

One on one we’d go, stretched over the boards, just inside the boathouse door and foggy cove beyond. One on one, hand on hand, hip on hip till we were done, wrapped up in the mist.

Locker room lectures after each game, avoiding her eyes as we filed into the shower, then meeting outside for that late night ride, down to her aunt’s and the path beyond, curving through the woods.

And so unfolded our secret summer; our touches bound only in candlelight, or moonlight shining on reeds where we lay, whispering not a word.

Wine, bread, bracing swims… love wrapped like the quilt about us, enveloping my twin. Taped ankles loose, sore muscles soothed, and all ending with eyes heavy with sleep, sinking through the midnight breeze that chilled our feet, rafters cracked with stars.

That connection, acceptance, celebration of self… my sister-spirit taught me much. To know I need never look to a boy with wonder again, wonder as to why.

15 comments:

Matthew MacNish said...

Nice. Evocative. Mysterious.

Lines like 'our touches bound only in candlelight' and 'rafters cracked with stars' are great, because they say so much with so few words.

I happen to know this guy, this Maine Character, and he's great.

Jessica Bell said...

Wow! So much told in such few words. And so sentimental. Who said men like this didn't exist in this world? :o) I just 'met' Maine Character, too. He emailed me after seeing my book trailer. Nice guy!

Jessica Bell said...

'so few words', rather :-/

Elena Solodow said...

This was beautiful.

Susan Kaye Quinn said...

Lovely and evocative, just as Matthew says. Nicely done! :)

maine character said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
maine character said...

Thanks, everyone! This is the first time I’ve been bold enough to share my writing, and so you know it means a lot.

Bryan’s a great editor, which put me in good hands, and thanks to him and Matt for encouraging me to do this.

D.G. Hudson said...

Love your writing, Maine character, it touches the soul.

Anita said...

Oooh! Cool!

Donna Hole said...

Mysterious is right. Couldn't decide if they are lovers, siblings, or ghosts. I liked it.

.......dhole

M.A.Leslie said...

Bravo. Matthew is right it is very mysterious.

JM Leotti said...

Wonderful! You seemed to stuff a lifetime into so few words! Evocative writing, brought back some nice memories! :)

maine character said...

Thanks again, everyone. Much appreciated.

Donna – ghosts would be cool. And I can definitely see how you thought siblings, with “twin” and “sister-spirit,” but she’s simply describing how, at just the right time, she found someone who validated how she is. A teammate of hers who’s also looked at boys and wondered what they could ever have to offer her.

Matthew MacNish said...

Now: when the hell are you going to start a blog?

Jen said...

That's so beautiful! I love "rafters cracked with stars"and "sinking through the midnight breeze". Matthew's right - evocative is the right word. Very other-worldly.

Great work, MC, and I'm with Matthew again - when are you going to start a blog?