Monday, June 1, 2009

Some Things Come in Pairs

So, the obvious companion question to the last one: What is your best writing skill or habit? And why? That last bit's trickier than it might seem at first. Why, as in what aspects of this skill/habit make you good at it, and why, as in why do you think you're good at these aspects? Does this aspect of your talent have a background?

Maybe think of it in terms of the evolution of your talent... how'd you get where you are today? And where do you want to go next?

4 comments:

Charlie Rice said...

I'm not sure if I have any exceptional writing skills just yet, but I have a good habit of prioritizing my time so I can write. When I’m ready to fall asleep, I set a scene in my head and “dream” what happens next. Sometimes something good comes from it.

Bryan Russell said...

I find that quite interesting. I've gotten ideas from dreams before... but I've never gone about it consciously, with the specific intent of trying to generate something creative. I do, sometimes, drift off to sleep thinking about my stories... but that's mostly happenstance, the stories simply being what's stuck in my head at the moment.

Interesting... sort of a dreamcatcher theory of productivity. Let the unconscious mind do it's thing...

Bookworm1605 said...

Ah, any answer to this question is inevitably a double-edged sword.

For example, I like action in my stories. Lots. I suppose that if sheer effort is any indication I should be getting better at it. The flip side of this little indulgence of mine is that, yeah, sometimes I can leave out other important stuff. Like plot.

Bryan Russell said...

Plot's overrated. I figure it's sort of like an appendix.


:)