Tuesday, June 9, 2009

Coming To A Blog Near You!

Well, I have a little blog project I've been thinking about. Okay, it's sort of large. But it's been in my head for awhile now and so I think I'm going to do it. So: the grand idea is to do a rereading of The Lord of the Rings and blog about it chapter by chapter, with a focus on trying to understand the story from a writer's viewpoint (rather than a reader or critic's viewpoint).

I thought LotR was a good book for this because a) so many people have read it (and thus can offer comments, new ideas, heckling, etc.), and b) it's a very interesting book, and by that I mean both good and odd (it's a strangely constructed book in many ways). I've read the book a number of times, and have many ideas about it, but I've never read it with the conscious thought of trying to pull it apart and understand it from a writer's perspective. I've also read some of the history of its writing, so it'll be interesting to look at the story with that in mind. And the recent movies, I think, provide an interesting comparison point in discussing how the story is handled. And everyone's seen those. I believe you get deported if you haven't.

So, that's my idea. I thought about doing Ulysses, but I figured everybody would kill me. Well, if I didn't do myself in, first. I'm also hoping we'll get some normal posts during all this, too, just for variety. So there we are. Comments or insults?

7 comments:

Deb Salisbury, Magic Seeker and Mantua-Maker said...

It's a fascinating idea. I'm looking forward to your thoughts. I reread them fairly recently, and decided they probably wouldn't get past the first reader in today's market. I adore them, anyway!

Bryan Russell said...

It is, I think, a slow starter in a lot of ways. And I think the style and tone changes as the story moves on, too. Or so I think right now...

Benarol said...

i think that's a great idea. i'm not a huge LoTR fan, though i've read and seen it, but the idea of reading a chapter-by-chapter deconstruction of a massively popular work is going to be insightful, regardless.

Unknown said...

This is the book I've only read once.
Most books I get to the end and turn straight back to the start. But after reading it, cover to cover, in one go - almost 48 hours without sleep or other meaningful communication - I have a pavlovian reaction to even thinking about getting it down from the shelf.
Now is the time!

Bryan Russell said...

Now that, Elaine, is reading dedication. Food, sleep... overrated! Middle Earth is nourishment enough.

Damon Lord said...

Me like! Me very like!

It's a fabulous idea. It should take you quite some time, however, so please don't lose steam at any stage. I shall be following with interest!

Bryan Russell said...

Thanks, Damon!

I'm enjoying both the reading and writing so far... and also realizing it's a lot of work. But hopefully along with the pleasure I'll also learn me some smart stuff to pad the old noggin.

Here's hoping, anyway.