Friday, July 31, 2009

The Anecdotal Life of a Bookshop: I Want a Book

Charming Proprietor: Hi there, how can I help you?

Customer: I want a book.

Charming Proprietor: Um... yes?

Customer: Well, you see... I can't remember the name of it.

Charming Proprietor: Maybe the name of the author?

Customer: I can't remember who wrote it, either. Or what it's about.

Charming Proprietor: ...?

Customer: But I know it has a blue cover. And it's about this big. (Customer holds up hands to indicate the size of the book, which appears to be, oddly, rather book-sized)

Charming Proprietor: ...?

Earnest Customer: Do you have that book? I really want it.

Charming Proprietor: As it so happens, I have 8,000 copies of that book. Come right this way. Will you be paying by cash or by card?

1 comment:

Deb Salisbury, Magic Seeker and Mantua-Maker said...

ROFL! Thank you! You've made my day. (I'm so grateful I don't work in retail.)